Monday, April 6, 2015

The Outlawz Greetings Challenge-Happy Spring/Use An Animal -= A Tutorial

Hello, Crafty Peeps!

Welcome to another challenge at The Outlawz.  The Greetings Challenge Team would like to see your Spring Creations. 
 Our theme this week is "Happy Spring/Use An Animal."

I am working on a recipe book for another DT and one of the elements I am including are fancy recipe and menu cards.   Since I am not coloring these days, the "use an animal" twist tin this challenge threw me off a little but I did find a piece of ephemera that allowed me to at least comply with the spirit of the challenge1 :D)


My inspiration for this project is a tutorial at:  Tammy Tutterow  Use her tutorial if you want to recreate her project!  Hugz, Chana


RECIPE CARD STEP TUTORIAL

Supplies:
2 pcs - Neenah Cover Stock White or Cream  (4" x 6") 
1 pc  -  Core'dinations Cardstock - All in the Family "Out to Sea" (4 1/2" x 6 1/2")



Tropical Pink Glimmer Mist
Plain Jane Simply Sheer Matte Mist - Un-Birthday
Plain Jane Simply Sheer Matte Mist - Cozy Yellow
Plain Jane Baseboard Matte Mist (semi opaque) Sky
Plain Jane Baseboard Matte Mist semi opaque) Grass


Tim Holtz Ranger Distress Inks:
Gathered Twigs, Broken China, Peacock Feathers, Scattered Straw

Heidi Swapp Mixed Media Stencil - Square Lattice
Pink Paisley - Nantucket Ephemera and Stamps (<---Click Link) This product is discontinued, but Jo~Ann's still has some in stock.
Misc:
Seam Binding - colored with Distress Inks and Sprays (I used a scrap piece)
Brads, Flowers
Texture Paste, glue, mod podge( or other sealant) Gesso


Cut a piece of Neenah Natural White Linen Cover Stock to 4" x 6" and cover both sides with Gesso and let air dry (or use heat tool to speed up drying.) The brush strokes from the Gesso add additional texture to the design.

Mist the panel with your various sprays (all or any combination of the colors in supply list)until you achieve the desired effect.  Some of this will be covered with texture paste.  I blotted lightly each time I sprayed, but this is not necessary.  Let your eyes be the best judge.  Use heat to dry.  Note: Colors will be softer.

Position your stencil and apply texture paste to the desired area.  It is helpful to have some idea of where you plan to place you emphemera so that you don't totally cover the stenciled design.

Lift the stencil and allow paste to air dry or use heat tool.  Clean your stencil with water.

Reposition the stencil over the paste and align the imprint (sorry for the shadows, my paper bowed a little) sponge stenciled area with Distress Inks (Gathered Twigs, Peacock Feathers, etc.)

Sponge edges with Gathered Twigs (Vintage Photo will work just as well)


(1) To Make A Greeting Card: Cut a card base of a coordinating color 1/4 " to 1/2" larger than your card front.  Add your ephemera, ribbon, and stamped images or sentiments to your card front and attach it to your base cardstock.  For a more vintage look, use your distressing tool to tatter your edges. 

(2)To Make A Tag or Door Hanger:  Cut a piece of cardstock in a coordinating color 1/4 " to 1/2" larger than your panel front.  Add your ephemera, ribbon, and stamped images or sentiments to your card front and attach it to your accent backing.  Punch a hole in the center of your tag and use your crop-a-dile to insert an eyelet, thread ribbon through eyelet. 

This is the panel I used for my finished project.  The panel created during this tutorial will be used for another recipe card!

(3)To Make The Menu Card:  Adhere your ephemera, ribbon, and stamped images or sentiments to your card face and set it aside.  Cut a piece of cardstock in a coordinating color 1/4 " to 1/2" larger than your card front (my panel is 4 1/4" x 6 1/4".)  Type or print your recipe on the second 4" x 6" piece Neenah linen cover stock.  Attach menu to cardstock.  Turn over and attach card front.  Use corner chomper to round off corners,  I use 1/2".

Before placing the panel in my recipe book, I applied a piece of very thin cold laminating paper to the recipe to protect it.  I wanted to see if the WRMK Photo Fuse tool would seal it to the paper, but since I am still wating for the tool to be delivered, I will have to see if the lamination works!

Thansks for stopping by.   Also, thanks to Tammy Tutterow for being such an inspiration!
Hugz,
Chana


6 comments:

  1. What a fabulous idea, I love the colours you have used. Creative Blessings, Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job as always and thanks for sharing the tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely lovely lovely!!
    Another fantastic and gorgeous project Miss Chana!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna! So sweet of you to stop by and leave some luv!
      Hugz,
      Chana

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciate it! I try to reciprocate and visit your blogs. If I don't get to you right away, please know that I am on my way there to thank you for your visit.
Happy Crafting!
Hugz,
Chana