Monday, December 28, 2015

Earth Safe Finishes - Bird House - Chinese Tea House


HI, Crafty Peeps!  Today I am presenting a cedar birdhouse that I painted and decorated to resemble a traditional Chinese Tea House - Birdhouse.

Here is a recent design using Earth Safe Finishes®!  In case you are not familiar with ESF, it is a WOMAN owned, Made in the USA company that develops, manufactures, and markets high-quality VOC free products.  You can read more about the company HERE!

This birdhouse has languished in Projects In Progress for almost four months.  I knew that whatever I did with the birdhouse, I wanted the roof to have texture so, back in May, I added drywall tape to the roof, covered the entire birdhouse with Gesso, and put it in PIP.  Last week, I decided to make another attempt and was inspired to go oriental.   I hope this project will inspire you to use chalks and pigments on large surfaces with minimal embellishments.   My product focus this week:  Earth Safe Finishes® Chalk It Up™ "Licorice" and Earth Safe Finishes® Pigment "Permanent Red."  I also used Ann Butler Designs™ Iridescents "Sheer Silver."

The Tutorial for this project can be found at the Earth Safe Finishes® Artists Blog
My husband purchased an unfinished cedar birdhouse from the Goodwill Store for $3.49.
The windows are caps from empty distress stain bottles.
The house had some rough edges, which was great, because I wanted the tea house to show age.
The Oriental Weave panel provides visual relief from 
the bold designer papers on the back, side and front of the house!  
The instructions for creating the faux metal siding are included in the tutorial.

Thanks for Stopping by,
72dpi ESF Chana 2015
HUGZ!

6 comments:

  1. Wow. This bird house is a stunning work of art, Chana. Hugs, Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Teresa! I had fun with this!
    Hugz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally fab an so beautiful Chana. Love the details.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work as always!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow, chana! this is GORGEOUS!!! utterly perfect, i love it! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy Wow, Chana! This birdhouse is STUNNING! I love the oriental theme and brilliant idea using drywall tape to add texture to the roof!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciate it! I try to reciprocate and visit your blogs. If I don't get to you right away, please know that I am on my way there to thank you for your visit.
Happy Crafting!
Hugz,
Chana